Health and Safety:
The purpose of this policy is to provide and maintain a safe and healthy workplace for everyone involved in North Harbour Volleyball (NHV) and to fulfil our obligations under the Health & Safety at Work Act 2015. NHV is committed to achieving this by providing the appropriate information, equipment, training and support needed.
The policy applies to all staff working for NHV delivering NHV activities at whatever venue the activity is held at.
Health and Safety – Established practices carried out in order to ultimately prevent or mitigate any injury, illness, or any kind of mishap in the workplace.
Staff – All temporary or permanent staff, contractors engaged by NHV and coaches (whether paid or volunteer).
Hazard – A hazard is a physical item, activity, event, or situation that is a potential source of harm.
Application – What is expected?
NHV has a responsibility for the health and safety of everyone involved in NHV activities and commits to:
• Taking all practicable steps to ensure the safety of employees at work including training and induction
• Appointing a Health and Safety Officer to review health and safety policy and supporting procedures and report on health and safety performance to the Board
• Maintaining a Hazards Register and regularly assessing venues to ensure all hazards have been identified and are been appropriately managed/mitigated
• Providing safety information and ease of access to a range of support mechanisms
• Providing reasonable opportunities for employees to participate effectively in processes for improving health and safety at work.
•Being committed to the protection and promotion of the mental health and well-being of all staff
• Promoting a physical environment that is supportive of mental health
• Actively supporting and participating in their employees’ rehabilitation plan to ensure an early and satisfactory return to work, where possible
• Fostering a positive working environment with open channels of communication and clear support structures
Staff are expected to share in the commitment to this policy and are expected to play a vital and responsible role in maintaining a safe and healthy workplace through the following:
• Observing all safe work procedures and instructions and ensuring their own health and safety and that of others
• Reporting any hazards of potential hazards immediately and completing all records required of hazards, events and risk assessments
• Making unsafe work situations safe or, if you cannot, informing the Health and Safety officer
• Ensuring that all events are promptly reported to the Health and Safety officer
• If harmed, taking an active role in an early and satisfactory return to work
• Completing mandatory Health & Safety training
This policy will be reviewed at least annually or when change occurs to the obligations or to NHV.